Thursday, March 12, 2009

Cesarean Goddess Information

If you have stumbled across this blog, it is likely because you have had a cesarean section, are going to have a cesarean section, or would like to avoid having a cesarean section. The cesarean section rate in the United States is nearly 30% which means at least one woman in four will have a cesarean section. This blog will not be one that places judgment on women who have had cesarean sections nor will it be one that makes it sound like a glorious option. The truth is, I firmly believe if you can have a safe vaginal birth than do so, but for many of us vaginal birth is not an option or something happened during our pregnancies or birth that led to a cesarean section. Some women will choose to have a primary cesarean section, and while that is not something I would do, I support their right to do so. What may be right for you, may not be right for someone else.

Comments and differing views are welcomed, but please don't be rude and disrespectful to other posters. There will be no anonymous comments. If you would like to submit a link or resource or share your cesarean section or VBAC birthstory here please email me at dscvrlife@bellsouth.net and be sure to put Cesarean Goddess in the subject line.

I am not a doctor or a medical professional. This blog is mostly made up of personal experience and research. Please seek medical advice from your doctor or midwife.

A little about the Cesarean Goddess.

You may have heard about me or read about me on a message board. I've been banned from the MotheringDotCom forums for being vocal about cesarean sections and encouraging women not to take extreme risks to avoid them. My screenname on most parenting message boards is OnTheFence. I've had four cesarean sections. My first was an emergency cesarean section after a failed ECV. During that surgical birth it was discovered that I had a mullerian anomaly. Our second child we adopted due to infertility but I went on to get pregnant again and take our third child to term. I had a wonderful cesarean birth experience. During that pregnancy I did a lot of research and talked to hundred of women all over the United States about their experiences and recovery. Our fourth child was born in 2005. I had an uneventful pregnancy and cesarean birth. Our fifth child was born in 2007 at 34 weeks. I had multiple complications and after discussion with my OB decided that it was better for both of us if she exited the womb. My last cesarean birth was not uneventful, I had multiple complications as did our baby. There will be no more babies for me but I hope that I can continue to help women plan and come to terms with their cesarean sections.

No comments:

Post a Comment