Monday, March 16, 2009

What should I pack to the hospital if I am having a cesarean section?

One of the most frequent questions I am asked about cesarean sections is what one should pack in their hospital bag. I am one of those people who totally obsess over what to pack and pack way too much because I do not want to be without anything but here is a list of things I recommend you take to the hospital for you and your baby. Remember to take what is useful for you and leave the rest. I tend to go overboard.

  • Be sure to pack your cesarean section birth plan, and be sure to have an extra copy. If you have any specific instructions for the nursery staff bring that as well in case you are unable to express your wishes and need someone else to advocate for you or your baby.
  • Don't forget your insurance information or any other important paperwork.
  • Bring your own pillow. Maybe even two. I also bring a Boppy or nursing pillow to assist with breastfeeding and holding against my abdomen for coughing.
  • Bring your own toiletries and don't forget your toothbrush. After two of my csections that is one of the first things I did after leaving recovery. Also, bring the lip balm.
  • Camera and Video Camera. Have extra batteries for your digital cameras and bring extra film.
  • Pack two nursing bras, I prefer a flexible one with some give to it like a sports bra because the girls are going to get big and you may need extra room. I also pack several pairs of socks, some granny panties, and a nursing gown. I tend to wear my own clothes after I get my cath out and my pain pump removed. If you are going to feel more comfortable in your own clothes take clothes you are going to be comfortable in that have some give to them. You will want something easy to move around in.
  • Slippers or slip on shoes. Heck even some flip flops will do.
  • Medication. If you are on any medication bring it with you, especially if you are going to be taking something for postpartum depression.
  • You will need some snack foods. Hospital food sucks and when you are ready to eat flavorless chicken and jello are not going to be appetizing. I always have a stash of snacks for my husband or my sister and myself. I also pack hard candy to suck on because some of the pain medications can cause dry mouth.
  • Don't forget your list of telephone numbers.
  • Have some cash on hand. Change for the drink machine or snack machine.
  • Car seat. Hospitals will not let you take your baby home without one.
  • I always pack outfits for my babies to wear and I also bring a few of my own blankets to use. Be sure to pack your baby's going home outfit.
  • I'm normally preoccupied with other things but I do try to bring some form of entertainment like a book, my journal, magazine and music. You can also bring a CD to be played in the OR of your c-section. I was going to do this but then decided not too.
  • If you have other children make sure you have somethings for them to do if and when they come to visit. Colors and coloring books, games, or small puzzles. You want to choose things that will not make a lot of noise, and that will occupy their time.

No comments:

Post a Comment